We are hiring a Chief Financial Officer to join our executive team and to help us shape Origin Ventures’ next phase of growth. Interested candidates should apply here.
About Origin Ventures
Origin Ventures is a leading early-stage venture capital firm that has backed market leading software and marketplace companies like Grubhub (NYSE: GRUB), Cameo, Fountain, Tock (acquired by NYSE: SQSP), Tovala, 15Five, BacklotCars (acquired by NYSE: KAR), and many others. Founded in 1999, the firm has $300M in AUM with an aggregate portfolio value exceeding $7B. Origin Ventures is currently investing out of its fifth early-stage fund. The team is composed of former founders, operators and engineers – allowing it to uniquely partner with founders. Origin Ventures has a presence in all four US time zones, investing throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Origin Ventures is adding a Chief Financial Officer to its executive team. The CFO will be responsible for managing financial and legal processes, and investor relations and reporting. The position will report to the Managing Partners. This role will work closely with the investment team, but is not expected to be responsible for investment decisions. This is a full-time position that can be located in the firm’s regional offices in Chicago or Salt Lake City, or work remotely anywhere in the U.S.
- Develop the fair market value (FMV) calculations for the portfolio according to GAAP
- Manage the firm’s outsourced back office relationship
- Develop capital calls and oversee notice and collection
- Manage and coordinate the annual audit and tax returns of the funds
- Coordinate with tax accountants and back office to calculate tax distributions
- Maintain and expand the firm’s employee benefits offerings
- Ensure adequate and cost-effective insurance coverage
- Maintain and expand financial controls
- Negotiate and manage vendor relationships, and pay invoices
- Own the firm’s expense policy and manage reimbursement
- Manage company credit cards
- Ensure firm is in full compliance with applicable regulatory requirements and government filings
- Coordinate legal processes for fundraising, including final execution of all LP documents
- Maintain and develop HR policies and coordinate all legal documents with employees & interns
- Coordinate with outside counsel on ad-hoc legal matters
- Create and maintain fund, portfolio, and investor dashboards
- Obtain and organize monthly & quarterly financials, legal documents and stock certificates for each portfolio company investment
- Maintain up-to-date cap tables for all portfolio company investments
- Update various online 3rd party databases to reflect investment activity
- Audit portfolio company D&O insurance policies for compliance with requirements
- Investor Relations
- Coordinate regular LP communications including quarterly & annual report distribution
- Respond to ad-hoc LP requests regarding capital calls, commitments, compliance, tax and other related matters
- Assist with diligence requests during fundraising
- Maintain performance metrics in coordination with back office provider
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree required, MBA or CFA preferred
- CPA or mastery of accounting preferred
- 5+ years experience in financial operations of a VC, PE, or hedge fund
- Private company valuation experience (e.g. Topic 820) preferred
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Highest degree of integrity, professionalism and maintenance of confidentiality
- Self-directed and detail-oriented
- Occasional overnight business travel expected
- Regional offices in Chicago and Salt Lake City, but the position is available remotely from anywhere in the continental U.S.
Interested candidates can apply here.