Earlier this year at our annual off-site team meeting, our team plotted out the strategy for the next ten years of Origin Ventures. We tweaked our deal evaluation process, reviewed our portfolio in depth, and discussed strategic changes in light of the changing VC landscape. We also did an in-depth review of our current team and the gaps we have to accomplish our goals set out by our recently-closed $80M fourth fund.
The outcome of our team review: we are embarking on an effort to build out the third generation of Origin Ventures professionals. The next role we seek to fill is for a Senior Associate.
Senior Associates are involved in every aspect of our business from deal sourcing, negotiation, diligence, and post-investment support. Senior Associates participate in investment decision making in our weekly meetings and also help with many internal operations of the fund alongside the partners.
The best candidates will have an MBA from a top business school and should have demonstrated success in a variety of relevant fields, as a founder/operator, engineer and/or consultant.
This is a partner-track position. Our philosophy is to only hire people to our investment team if we believe they have the potential to become one of our partners. We are committed as a partnership to invest in our team and provide each new team member with opportunities to grow.
Please reach out if you think you fit the below description. We welcome qualified referrals.
Origin Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm, with offices in Chicago and Salt Lake City. The firm actively seeks investment opportunities in high-growth software, marketplace, and content businesses. The firm recently closed its fourth fund at $80M, and now has over $135M of capital under management.
Origin Ventures seeks a Senior Associate to join its investment team in the Chicago office. This is a partner-track investment team position and it will report directly to the partners.
In collaboration with the entire investment team, the Senior Associate will participate in all phases of the investment process, including:
- Deal sourcing – using professional networks (entrepreneurs, universities, incubators, industry peers) and data to proactively identify interesting investment opportunities for the firm
- Screening – conducting initial phone and in-person meetings with founders and management teams
- Due diligence – market sizing, industry research, sector analysis, competitive analysis, financial modeling, background and reference checks
- Support investment team in negotiation and investment execution
- Synthesizing information to develop an investment memoranda
- Work with individual portfolio companies in support of Origin board members
- Execute various projects as needed, including developing and researching investment theses
- Establish and maintain strong professional networks inside and outside the Origin network
- Assistance developing and automating internal firm processes
- 3-5 years of work experience
- Professional experience includes one or more of: (a) founding or working within an entrepreneurial technology business (b) venture capital or (c) strategy consulting
- Track record of exceptional academic and professional achievement
- MBA from a top-tier business school strongly preferred
- Undergraduate technical degree (EE, CS) preferred
- Passion for emerging technology of the Internet, early stage technology businesses, and investing
- Strong professional network in startup and/or venture capital community preferred
- Must possess a deep intellectual curiosity, and desire to apprentice with experienced partners
- Impeccable work ethic, attention to detail, and ability to build trusted relationships are critical to success
- Start date: Immediate
- Location: Chicago
- Compensation: market-competitive; includes salary and carried interest
- This is a partner-track position